Does Wearing a Mask Irritate Your Skin?
It was about two months ago. One morning I woke up, my face was blotched, dry, and had a burning sensation. I was terrified because I had never experienced this before.
As a skincare professional, I knew something was wrong. Then I started my research.
Stress and Your Skin
The stress and anxiety during the pandemic can trigger all the negative components inside the body. Stress is the skin’s number one enemy. This is why skin irritation is one of the symptoms, especially when wearing a mask for a long time. A good skincare regime for skin issues is important. Basic “skin survival” for mask-wearing is outlined below.
How to Avoid Acne From Wearing a Face Mask
- Make sure to always wear a clean mask. If wearing multiple times, use K95 or KN95. Spray rubbing alcohol inside and let dry after each use.
- Before putting on a mask at the beginning of your day, these are good tips to follow for skincare:
- Cleanse with a gentle cleanser in order to avoid your skin from drying and irritating.
- Apply skincare with niacinamide to help build lipid barrier in the skin and lock in moisture to prevent irritation. This minimizes redness and blotchiness.
What to Do After Removing Your Face Mask
- Cleanse with a gentle cleanser.
- Apply serum or oil base moisturizer for sensitive/rosacea skin. Spot treatment only for acne. Avoid harsh ingredients all over your faces such as retinoid or AHA.
- Another great tip to relieve skin irritation is ice. Fill a styrofoam cup to the top with water. Put inside the freezer until frozen. Peel off the ring at the top edge of the styrofoam then rub the ice on your face gently. You will be amazed at how comfortable your skin feels afterward.
I understand that wearing a mask can cause skin irritations. But wearing a mask in public places and indoors can help us fight the COVID-19 pandemic more efficiently. Let’s work and go through this journey together.
Please stay healthy! I will be here to answer all your skincare questions or you can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember: Relax, Regenerate, Revitalize
Lily Seed Owner/Spa Director Revita Medical Esthetics & Spa