Summer Snacking: The Healthy Way
Food For Thought: Summer Snacking: The Healthy Way
For most of us, summer means spending time outdoors soaking up the warm, sunny weather with family and friend, or laying on a beach or by the pool with a margarita in hand (my vision of summer). Who enjoys cooking in a hot kitchen in the summer? NOBODY! Use the tips to help you and your family plan healthy summer meals without breaking a sweat.
Hitting the road for summer holidays?…(don’t forget to leave room for me in your suitcase)…Make healthy eating a breeze by planning healthy meals and snacks before leaving the house.
- For picnics and trips, pack foods like bite-sized veggies, whole grain crackers, cheese cubes, and nuts. Get the kids involved by asking them to help plan and pack the picnic.
- Heading to the lake or going camping? Plan your meals before you leave. You’ll spend less time in the grocery store and more time having fun!
- Going hiking or on a road trip? Take healthy snacks to keep you fueled all day long. Try veggie sticks, fruit, homemade trail mix, homemade muffins, yogurt, and sandwiches. Use ice packs to keep cold food cold.
- Don’t leave home without a bottle of water. Water is the perfect drink on a hot summer day.
Another popular summer tradition is barbecuing. Here are a few tips for healthy summer grilling.
- Grill extra veggies, fish, tofu, or lean meat for lunch tomorrow.
- Store-bought marinades and sauces are often high in sugar and sodium. Make your own delicious and healthy marinades using lemon, fresh herbs, garlic, onion, and spices.
- Barbecuing isn’t just for meat and veggies. Grilled fruit is a healthy, delicious, and naturally- sweet dessert. Try grilling fresh peach slices or pineapple and serving with lower-fat yogurt.
Jenn Giurgevich is a Registered Dietitian and former contract Professor at Brescia University College with a wealth of nutrition knowledge. Over the last 10+ years, Jenn has paired her love for nutrition and health with her undeniable love for fitness, working as both a personal trainer and fitness instructor.